The women's tennis team's remarkable season came to a close on Saturday at the NJCAA National Tournament in Peachtree City, GA.
Friday - Day Two Singles:
2. Maria Mott (Broome) def. Kiana Brooks (Fashion Inst. of Technology) 4-6, 7-6(5), 6-1
3. Hannah Warwick (Illinois Valley) def. Molly Secord (Broome) 6-1, 6-0
5. MacKenzie Carr (Camdan County CC) def. Olivia Borihane (Broome) 6-1, 6-1
Mott came back from match point down to win her semifinal and advance to the NJCAA Flight 2 Final. In the second set Mott was down 6-5 match point and hit a courageous forehand winner down the line to stay alive and never looked back. She went on to win the tiebreak 7-5 and won the last 6 out of 7 games. Mott's upset of #2 seeded Brooks placed her in the finals on Saturday. Teammates, Secord and Tassey also competed on Saturday in the consolation final.
Saturday - Day Three Singles:
Main Draw Final
2. Caroline Kawula (Oxford CC) def Mott (Broome) 6-0 6-1
3. Alyssa Cruz (Camden County CC) def Secord (Broome) 6-3 7-6 (5)
4. Samantha Tassey (Broome) def Alyssa Brantley (Ocean County CC) 6-2 6-4
In her second trip to the NJCAA National Women's Tennis Championships, Mott took second place at No. 2 singles and, in doing so, earned All-American status.