Oct 07, 2018
Saturday was day one of the 2018 Region III tournament in Syracuse, NY at Drumlins Country Club. Broome's number two singles player Brianna Harmon easily won her semifinal match to advance to the final of the second singles flight. Sara Figura, Broome's number five singles player, fought through a tough first set and cruised through the second set to earn her spot in the final of the fifth singles flight. Broome's number one doubles team Shyanne Daye and Brianna Harmon are Region III Champions. After easily winning their semifinal, Daye and Harmon unexpectedly lost the first set but turned the match around to win the second and third sets only dropping two games.
1. Micah Mixon (OCC) def. Shyanne Daye (Broome) 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
2. Bri Harmon (Broome) def. Miranda Morrison (HVCC) 6-0, 6-1
5. Sara Figura (Broome) def. Jennifer McBain (MVCC) 7-5, 6-3
1. Daye/Harmon (Broome) def. Fallon/Roberts (MVCC) 6-2, 6-1
2. Yuhnick/Shanks (Broome) def. Oaksford/Lim (MVCC) 6-1, 6-1
1. Daye/Harmon (Broome) def. Bornt/Morrison (HVCC) 4-6, 6-0, 6-2
2. Lesselroth/Lapp (OCC) def. Yuhnick/Shanks (Broome) 6-0, 6-3
3. Ryan/Freeman (OCC) def. Figura/Bogart (Broome) 7-5, 6-2
Sunday the Region III Tournament concluded with five Hornets in the singles finals. Harmon played tough right from the beginning as she took the lead early in her final and kept the pressure on all match long to become the Region III champ at No.2 singles. Kimberly Yuhnick, No.3 singles, and Kara Shanks, No.4 singles, both came from behind to win their Region III titles. Shanks was down early but quickly gathered herself to cruise to victory only dropping three games along the way. This is Shanks second Region III singles title, she won last year at No.5 singles. Yuhnick had a tougher road to win her final, coming from behind to win 5-4.
2. Brianna Harmon (Broome) def. Katie Leselroth (OCC) 6-3, 6-2
3. Kimberly Yuhnick (Broome) def. Jennifer Lapp (OCC) 7-5, 6-4
4. Kara Shanks (Broome) def. Kaitlynn Ryan (OCC) 6-2, 6-2
5. Kennedy Myers (OCC) def. Sara Figura (Broome) 6-2, 6-2
6. Jordan Cole (OCC) def. Breona Bogart (Broome) 6-2, 1-6, 6-1
Onondaga came out on top in the 2018 Region III Championship with 12 total team points, ending Broome's 6-year reign. Broome finished in the runner-up spot with 10 points and Hudson Valley finished in third place with 3 points.